Wednesday 16 May 2012

Ferdinand and Crouch left out as Hodgson names England squad


Hodgson names squad

There was much speculation and intrigue about the announcement of this squad however in the end many will be left scratching their heads. In my opinion certain decisions in the squad baffle me as do some of those who did not make the 23. 
The squad itself is again a squad of obvious names without that many new faces nor ideas. I understand Hodgson's argument of trying to pick the players who qualified for the tournament however I would have liked to have seen more changes. His inclusion of so many Liverpool players is also confusing. England have been written off by nearly all with regards to this tournament so I am a bit disappointed that the same old names have been picked. 

No call for Rio
The main talking point has been the leaving out of Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand (left). In the press conference Roy Hodgson said it was for 'pure footballing reasons' citing the fact that he has only played once for england in the last year. Although using this thought process the inclusion of Steven Gerrard should be brought into question. Many of the press and people on social media sites are lamenting his absence although for me it is no surprise. Personally I would not have taken him. I do not feel his form this year has been good enough as without Nemanja Vidic by his side he has showed how vulnerable he is. His fitness would also worry me and for these reasons I would have left him out. Many are citing to the problem with John Terry as the reason for his admission although I do believe Hodgson when he said that that played no part in the decision. 




Goalkeepers:
In truth I do not have any problem with his selection in this area. Hopefully Joe Hart remains fit for the entire tournament. With regards to who is available this is the three I would have picked. The only change would be Robert Green out and Ben Foster in however due to Foster's self-exile from being picked this is not possible. I am very happy for John Ruddy. He has had a wonderful season and it is good that he is getting his chance. He throughly deserved to be picked. 

Defenders:
This area has caused a few raised eyebrows since the announcement earlier today. Despite as I mentioned earlier the well documented exclusion of Ferdinand, for me it is the exclusion of Micah Richards which disappoints me most. He deserves to be in the squad, his performances this year have proved that. He has improved so much in recent times and you cannot compare him to the raw, awkward and error - prone player he was 3 years ago. You do wonder what he has to do to be picked. His absence is even more galling when you consider that due to Kyle Walker's injury it seems that Richards is not even number two. Without doubt these two are the best right-backs England has. Therefore the selection of Glen Johnson is baffling. He has been poor this year and his defensive weaknesses have be highlighted time and time again in an England shirt. He is without doubt a weak link.  

I am also unhappy with this idea of Phil Jones playing right-back. He is clearly not a right-back and should not be used so. He also looks uncomfortable and out of position. This will be exploited when we play the top sides. I do agree with his inclusion but hope he is not asked to fill in at right-back. It seems crazy to me that we would rather take a man seen as a utility and fill in when there is a proper right-back available. Elsewhere I do not have too many complains, Ashley Cole and Leighton Baines deserve their places as does Gary Cahill. For me Cahill is the best central defender England has. Joleon Lescott has received many plaudits this season for his role in Manchester City's title win however I do feel that his performances have been made to look better due to the fact that he plays alongside Vincent Kompany, one of the best defenders in the world. Lescott is also prone to lapses in concentration and errors as shown in the final game against QPR. This for me has been England problem for years, all of our so called 'top' centre backs play along side world class players that cover their floors. For example Vidic for Ferdinand, Ricardo Carvalho for John Terry, Kompany for Lescott. This is why when they play together in the big games England's defence looks poor. 

Terry picked for Euro squad
Finally the inclusion on John Terry (right) was almost a given despite the fact that I would not take him. I do not see how we can succeed with him. The mans on and off the field antics are deplorable. Many have spoken of his place in the dressing room now he is not captain as potentially difficult. This was seen in South Africa with the 'Terry press conference'. He loves being the man in charge, we have seen this at Chelsea for years, undermining any manager he want and ultimately getting them the sack e.g Andre Villas Boas. Their is a reason why so many people joke about Terry running the Chelsea team. This along with the racism case hanging over him presents a very dangerous man to have in your team. Hodgson played the 'innocent until proven guilty' card however we all know he is guilty and how bad it that going to look when he is found guilty? Especially with the rumours it was pick Terry or Ferdinand. So we picked the racist. Many will argue that he should be judged on the field, however that provides no help for the Terry cause. In the last few weeks he has been torn apart twice by Andy Carroll and let his team down with his mindless sending out at the Nou Camp. It he was willing to do that in the Champions League semi-final as the captain of his 'beloved' Chelsea, you cannot take him. He could cost you the tournament. 

Despite my criticism of the defenders we have selected the truth is if not them then who? That is the problem, we do not have enough players to pick from. Other centre halves are Chris Smalling- injured or Ledley King and Jamie Carragher both too old, slow and injury prone. Our reserve defender Phil Jagielka is a great player and I would loved to have had him in the squad. For me he is greatly underrated. He and Lescott had a good partnership at Everton and it is very rare to have two players who have played together with regularity. This is another reason I think he picked Terry due to his partnership with Cahill. I do think that Cole, Cahill and Terry will be in the starting line-up for the France game. 

On the whole even if I accept the Terry decision the selection of Johnson I can not as Micah Richards should be on the plane. 

Midfield:
Hodgson has flooded the midfield by selecting nine players. He has picked the classic names of Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Gereth Barry. These three were always going to be picked despite for me Gerrard's worrying lack of form and Barry being, for me, poor. He is another one who is covered up by his Manchester City teammates. He is billed as a defensive midfielder who breaks up plays i.e the classic role of Claude Makelele although you could never compare him to the great man. For me he does not stop anything. He is too slow and players breeze past him. His performance in the hammering by Germany showed that. The way Mezut Ozil covered around 50 metres as Barry struggled to cover 20 to win the ball and then process to power away form him. 

Something new- Chamberlain gets the nod
Elsewhere I was delighted by the inclusion of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (right) and also happy to see Theo Walcott and Scott Parker. Chamberlain deserves his chance as he has shown his class this season. Walcott is a dangerous player and I hope he shows his true talent and of course Scott Parker. A terrific player who should have been in the World Cup squad two years ago. Ashley Young despite the diving deserves to be in and could prove a very useful asset for England. 

On the other hand the inclusion of Stewart Downing angers me. The man has been awful all year. 
1.NO Premier League assists
2.NO Premier League goals.`
How can this man be taken as an attacking winger. The man in the reserve list is that of Adam Johnson. Two years ago I wrote an article lamenting the fact that he was not picked for the World Cup squad. Now two year on and I am doing the same. The truth is this boy has talent. He has unfortunately suffered as I suspected due to the fact that he does not play regular football. I am sure that if he played every week he would be in this squad no doubt. He is a far superior player to Stewart Downing. For me he will have to leave City to get regular football. I honestly would have preferred Wolves' Matt Jarvis, Swansea's Scott Sinclair or Chelsea Daniel Strurridge (who is a reserve) to Downing. Finally the inclusion of bag-carrier James Milner is a frustrating one. He adds nothing to the team. People say he is a utility man although for me he is just poor in a range of different positions. He is always shown up on the international stage and will be again if used. Literally Ryan Taylor of Newcastle could do what Milner does will ease. 

Strikers:
Carroll lucky to be included
Hodgson's decision to go with four is interesting. I understand that due to the formation we play we would not require many forwards however would have liked to have seen five. The selection of Wayne Rooney was a given despite him missing games one and two by which time England could in theory be out. Danny Welbeck was another obvious one and despite me not being a fan he can do a job and hate to say it but the fact he plays for Manchester United made his selection a cert. Andy Carroll (left) is one I agree with as he offers something completely different. He has shown the form that got him his big money move and England cap recently although he can feel mightily lucky to be included. Jermaine Defoe I do not agree with. For me he is far too wasteful in front of goal which in the big games will cost you. I see why he has been picked due to being small, fast and adds to the balance of the squad having a smaller forward. I honestly feel if Darren Bent was fit he would have bee picked over him.  

Of those who have missed out I feel sorry for Grant Holt. Second highest English scorer behind Rooney this year. For me he deserved a chance. I am not saying he should start however what sort of message does it send when he has the season he has had and does not get picked. I am sure if he was signed by Liverpool or a Manchester United he would have been picked. He plays for unfashionable Norwich and people laugh at his style but the man has ability and to not even be a reserve is a joke. Peter Crouch can also feel unlucky. I suppose Carroll has been chosen over him although Crouch's international goal scoring record is awesome. I am sure he will be very very disappointed.

Overall the squad does not fill me with hope for the tournamnet. The same names, going to another tournament, whereby the same outcome looks extremely likely. I do not like the fact that so many of the squad are from the top teams again. Players are lesser clubs never get the recognition. Fact. Grant Holt is a prime example. My annoyance is not that they are not in the team but they never seem to get a chance. The England squad is a closed shop. 

My hopes for the tournament are slim, I hope we get out of the groups however cannot see us going further then that. For me the Germans will win it and watch out for the French to be the surprise team. 

England squad for Euro 2012:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Rob Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)
Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)
Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)
Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)
Standby players: Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

No comments:

Post a Comment