Sunday 12 February 2012

Suarez Forced To Issue Apology


Suarez apologises after appalling behaviour 

Luis Suarez (above) has today apologised for his appalling actions at Old Trafford in the Saturday lunchtime kick-off. Manchester United won the game 2-1 however Suarez was branded 'a disgrace' by Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson following his decision not to shake Patrice Evra's hand before the kick off. He even suggested that Suarez should be sold by Liverpool due to the damage he is doing to their reputation.

Suarez ignored Evra's hand in what was supposed to be an end to the whole chapter. His behaviour was appalling and he should be ashamed. Suarez had apparently assured Liverpool and manager Kenny Dalglish that he would shake Evra's hand. Suarez released this statement on Liverpool's website:
"I have spoken with the manager since the game at Old Trafford and I realise I got things wrong. I've not only let him down, but also the Club and what it stands for and I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened. I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions. I would like to put this whole issue behind me and concentrate on playing football."
Manager Kenny Dalglish also apologised for his behaviour in the post -match interview in which he refused to discuss Suarez's action.
"To be honest, I was shocked to hear that the player had not shaken hands having been told earlier in the week that he would do. When I went on TV after yesterday's game I hadn't seen what had happened, but I did not conduct myself in a way befitting of a Liverpool manager during that interview and I'd like to apologise for that." 
Managing Director Ian Ayre also issued a statement which is exactly what was required by Liverpool. For probably the first time ever the club issued a clear, unambiguous statement condemning his actions.

Read the full statement here: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/ian-ayre-luis-was-wrong

Hopefully this will be an end to this very ugly episode in which football and the Premier League's reputation has been damaged. Racism has no place in football and should be stamped out. In this day and age it is ridiculous that we have this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment